Thursday, August 21, 2014

Why birth, you ask?

I love birth! Are you kidding?! So incredible.

I've worked on and off as a doula (a non medical labor and delivery support person) for a few years, and I have never felt as amazed by the human body as I have during a birth. I remember in high school, watching my first birth video (probably shown to us with the intention of scaring us away from having sex), and feeling repulsed, intrigued, and most of all, surprised! It wasn't nearly as scary as I'd thought, nor as gross. Anyways, I guess that's when I fell in love.

It amazes me that, even though each and every person in the world was birthed, very few people know much about it, nor have they ever seen it happen! I think there is a lot of fear and stigma around giving birth, and I hope that increased knowledge will breed more comfort and confidence in the process, and in the human body to make miracles happen! Although there are many possibilities for things to go horribly wrong in pregnancy and childbirth, and even though birth is painful and hard and exhausting... well, you should see for yourself. It's a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment